Oct 24, 2003

Awhile back I had sent out an email asking people about which superpower they wanted if they could have a superpower. People put waaaayyyyy more thought into it than I would’ve liked but at least they responded (which I was glad for - thank you for those that indulge me).

People generally thought about what the “right” answer would be – more along the lines of the pc answer. “If you were a superhero...”

They missed the point.

When we’re children, it’s easy to make-believe, to fantasize and to indulge yourself in fantasy - tie a towel around your neck and run real fast pretending you’re flying. As we get older, become jaded and more cynical the quality is often lost - the joy, the freedom to explore, to dream, gets stomped out of us as time takes its toll on the imagination.

Instead of being indulgent, we can only think of the responsibility we have, to ourselves, to others, to society. I wanted to see if I could get that knee-jerk response, that first response that comes without much thought, the response that only speaks to the freedom and joy birthed by imagination.

I still have all the responses and the project has metamorphosized (due to the responses) into more of a piece on America today and how the world beyond our borders affects us (about as vague as I can get without letting the cat out of the bag).

Anyway, I thought about it myself - I had opted for the powers of The Flash - why, I can’t say really. I find myself just, for some reason liking the Flash a lot. Always have.

The truth is though I would probably Bob Burden’s be more like Mr. Furious from the Mystery Men.



No comments: